Thursday, November 6, 2008

Rachna and Todd's Indian blessing ceremony

Rachna and Todd's Indian blessing ceremony (Day 1)
Rachna and Todd hired me to photograph their wedding almost 2 years ago! I couldn't have been more 'taken' by Rachna and Todd when I met them. They are truly in love with one another and it shows in everything that they do. Once I met their families it was easy to tell where they got such warmth and compassion. I was welcomed into their home for the Indian blessing ceremony on the Friday before the wedding. It is most definitely one of the most unique things I have witnessed. There was much tradition and so much history behind everything that they did.
I'll start by telling you that it wasn't until I arrived at their home that I found out that Rachna's father is a photographer. Not just someone who happens to own a camera, but an amazingly talented wedding photographer. I think it goes without saying that I was both nervous AND honored to be the one chosen to capture such an important day in Sazro's daughter's life. I gave him kudos for being able to sit back, enjoy the weekend and let someone else be in control of the photography. I said I wasn't sure how I would do it when it came my daughter's time to marry. I am not sure what I loved more: photographing the wedding with all of it's tradition or watching him enjoy every moment of it. Please check out some of his work at: http://www.sazro.com/
Ok, onto some images ...
I decided to break their weekend into two posts. And while there were so many photos that I didn't get to post, here are some of my favorites that I want to share ...
The priest ... well, I had a sort of fascination with him. He was so interesting to photograph. I think I could have photographed him all day long ... here he is getting prepared.
Sazro helping with some of the preparations ...

Rachna and Todd seeing each other for the first time that day ...

Todd checking out her henna art ...
an overall shot early on ...



this is me getting tied with the 'protective string' ... and let me tell you how hard it is to manuever a heavy camera with one hand and still get your exposure ...


a shot of the priest from between Rachna and Todd ...

Have I talked yet about the fabulous light in this room? Wow. Amazing.





it was an emotional day and weekend ... lots of happy tears ...

I loved this shot after the ceremony in the backyard ...

again ... my fascination with the light. I loved the way it was falling on the flowergirl's face while she drew ...

Here's what I learned:

1. I want to somehow become a part of this family. I absolutely adored every last one of them!

2. At an Indian ceremony (of any kind, from what I understand), the photographer has free reign to go wherever the shot is. I was encouraged to get right in the action as opposed to trying my best to go unnoticed. I think I should photograph more Indian ceremonies. Great shots!

3. Indian ceremonies are immersed in color - beautiful, vibrant COLOR. It was fantastic!

4. Be careful when going outside in the wind ... I ended up with an eye the size of a golfball because something blew in it during our outdoor photographs. But don't worry, I still finished up the shots before going to the emergency room to get it looked at.

5. Outdoor ceremonies in the fall get 2 BIG THUMBS UP from me :)

No comments: