Monday, March 17, 2008

Just some notes

I have heard the comment more times than I care to admit

"Wow! Your camera takes great pictures!"

I always respond the same way ...

"Yes, it sure does. It is so nice of it to let me tag along."

Maybe I should change my response to:

‘A typewriter never wrote a great novel any more than a camera took a great picture.’

- Someone very smart

What you pay for when you hire a professional photographer is a multitude of things:

1. Experience

2. Knowlege of their equipment

3. Unique voice and creativity

4. Personality (believe it or not, this is a big one)

5. Professionalism

I am sure I am forgetting A LOT, but this is a start. I'd like to talk for a moment about one of these in particular: Unique voice

I believe that one of the most important things a photographer, or any artist for that matter, brings to the table is their unique voice.

No one fell in love with Lenny Kravitz because he sounded like The Beatles. They fell in love with him because he had a unique sound - a unique voice. A new take on something that has been around forever - music.

In photography, just as in music, this voice comes from your soul. From your heart.

When I started my photography business, I asked my mentor if he could help me 'define' my style. What did he 'feel' when he looked through my images? How did I tell people what my 'style' was?

I remember what he said "Only YOU can 'define' who you are as an artist. Let your images speak for you and you'll never have to explain your style to anyone." He said "If you shoot from the heart, you'll find what inspires you and in the process discover who you are as a photographer. You'll find your unique voice."

So, that's what I started doing and that's what I do EVERY time I go out.

I have been thinking about inspiration and shooting from the heart a lot lately. Especially since I recently signed up for my 2008 workshop. I always take one BIG workshop every year and this year is no different. I will be attending a workshop in the middle of wedding season (which will be different for me), but I am so excited! The workshops that I attend are always life changing for me. I love them because they do not force me to be anyone but myself (only better) :)

Sorry this post was so long, and there were a lot of words. I know my audience prefers pictures ... but sometimes this blog is little more than a place for me to collect my thoughts.

4 comments:

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

"Yes, it sure does. It is so nice of it to let to tag along." that made me giggle! do tell do tell!! what workshop? i just got back from the anti. 1 word incredible. shootshop is still my first love :)

Barb Trimble said...

I love this post. Your honesty is definitely something that helps you be so successful! I think it is great that you were able to fit in the workshop you wanted to go to.

timwilking said...

Your new camera even takes better pictures! ;-)

neysaruhl said...

Tim, you crack me up!!!
Barb, thank you so much for the kind words. I am SO excited about the workshop!
David and Kimi - I'm headed to Roots! Wanna come with??? I missed out on Foundation this year. :( But then I heard from a friend that some of the same folks are working at Roots! So, I signed up!!!