Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Facebook

Facebook
I have to say that the Facebook wave that has taken over the nation hasn't completely passed me by. Everywhere I turn, I get asked "Are you on Facebook?" Then the dreaded question of "Why not?" I guess the real truth is ... I don't know. If it makes anyone feel any better, I was also one of the last people in the free world to get a cell phone as well as get rid of the rabbit ears on my television. So, my adaptive phase is definitely getting shorter.

I have been one of THOSE people ... you know the ones. The ones who thought Facebook was a phase that would 'phase' out. The ones who believed that Facebook was something that would take up toom much of my precious free time.

The interesting thing is ... I am starting to believe that I actually spend more time telling people why I am not on Facebook than it would take to just sign up and give them my page. The truth is I am not exactly looking forward to learning all of the FB lingo and trying to sound witty on my 'wall' when I post what I'm up to.

My husband has a page, my daughter has a page, almost all of my friends have pages, so what am I waiting for exactly? Well, if I was waiting for Real Simple magazine to lay it all out for me and tell me to get with the program, then the wait is over. I am now officially BEHIND the times. My latest issue of Real Simple had a 4 page article on Facebook. Let's face it, RS isn't exactly known for being on the cutting edge of new technologies - so, if they are already turned on to FB, I had better kick it in gear.

I'll keep you posted on my FB progress.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need a facebook page too. It seems that I've outgrown my myspace site. When all of my clients (who according to their sites say they're 17, when really they're 12) tell me about their sites, I've begun to realize that perhaps facebook is more "mature."

Will you do one for your business and a personal one? That's a question that has me confused.

Barb Trimble said...

Welcome to the world of FB! Join the rest of us that succumbed to it:) Still learning but if you have questions let me know.

Anonymous said...

I've somehow managed to hold out so far too. If I ever give in to the mounting peer pressure, I'll look you up!

Melissa said...

Hey Neysa! I just joined FB in January and it is like hanging out in the commons after school, but without all of the drama. I hope you come and join us!-Melissa H.Bishop

PicturesByTracy said...

I'm with you Neysa! I recently broke down and got on facebook.

Amber Brown said...

I really like FB! It's been a great way to catch up with friends and keep in touch with out of state loved ones.

WARNING: It will suck you in and monopolize a lot of your time if you're not careful!

Unknown said...

I too joined the revolution last June before leaving the state of Ohio. It has actually helped me keep in touch with friends from Cbus and Cincy; and, now that Real Simple has legitimized my actions, I can feel confident about my social networking skills instead of look down as I describe why I am on FB. Thank you Real Simple! Haha. --LWood